Friday, May 6, 2011

Almost Mothers Day

Sunday is Mothers Day (Happy Mom day Mom.) which means that we will be planting the garden.  We got a small start on it last weekend by cleaning up a corner and planting some onions and red carrots.  I'm a bit excited, its great to plant food, have it grow and then eat it.  

Jeff has a master plan for the garden (see photo below) I am more of a lets go to Home Depot and see whats growing kind of person.  But, this year my grain eating,  yoga head,  friend Amy (check her out...GrainGirls.blogspot.com)  has really been in my ear about planning, canning, pickling, cooking and blogging about it.  Amy loaned me a book last week called Apartment Gardening by Amy Pennington, I LOVED IT.  I know I do not live in an apartment but I got some really cool ideas out of it.  My favorite is using rain gutters as planters.  They are light, inexpensive and easy to work with and the book said they are great for growing lettuce and herbs.  My plan is to hang them on the chain link fence around the back of the garden and see what happens.  Garden photos to follow next week.  Cant wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment