Monday, November 7, 2011

Not your Mama's Spaghetti

It finally happened, I had a bit of a break down over the weekend.  Yes, I miss all of you so much that I cried (thanks Donna Kirchoff for being there for that).  Today started out with a bit of a pity party but as the day progressed and with the help of a little retail therapy I am feeling much better.  I have been working on couponing and I have to tell you there is some joy in getting your receipt showing a savings of $46.35.  I don't think I will ever be on the show "Extreme Couponing" but I know there is money to be saved at the grocery store. 


I finally got my copy of Clean Eating November/December it was a bit delayed due to the change of address.  There are several really good meals in here that my boys and I will be trying.  There is a section of 5 ingredient meals and the Spaghetti & Spicy Cajun Meatballs sounded delicious.  However, I felt that since my fridge is full of veggies I would add a few more ingredients to the mix.


Ingredients:


5 cups boxed or jarred unsalted diced tomatoes - I used a can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes and a Jar of tomatoes from our garden back in Utah (tear, tear).
1/2 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
1 lb extra-lean ground pork
2 tbsp salt free Cajun style seasoning - I used closer to 5 tbsp Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning
12 oz whole-wheat, corn or brown rice spaghetti


Pantry Staples - (I guess listing them as staples allows you to call this a 5 Ingredient meal.)
Olive oil cooking spray
4 cloves of garlic, minced, divided
Sea salt and fresh round pepper to Taste


Additional veggies that I added
Handful of fresh mushrooms
Half white onion, chopped
Bunch of Spinach, stems removed, chopped


Instructions:
ONE:  Heat medium sauce pan on medium-high and coat with cooking spray, add 2 cloves of garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring.  Add tomatoes, stir and bring to a simmer. (This is where I added my mushrooms and onion)  Reduce heat and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper.


TWO:  Preheat oven to 425.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  In the bowl of a food processor, pulse shrimp into small chunks.  Add pork, Cajun seasoning, remaining 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper; pulse until combined.  Scoop 2 tbsp of mixture, roll into a ball and place on baking sheet.  Should yield approximately 24 meatballs.  Mist tops of meatballs with cooking spray.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.


THREE:  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Scoop spaghetti onto serving plate and top with meatballs and tomato sauce.





It was really good!! I loved it and is very low calorie and fat.  If you following their instructions and serving suggestions of; 1 cup pasta, 4 meatballs and 1/2 cup sauce you get;
Calories 383, Total Fat:4g, Sat Fat: 1g, Carbs 45g, Fiber 2g, Sugars:1g, Protein: 36g, Sodium; 153mg, Cholesterol: 117mg.

This is one of those meals that makes me so very thankful for my son who will eat just about anything.

Until Next Time....
So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34

 

No comments:

Post a Comment